Employment Discrimination –Sexual Harassment – Nonpayment for Overtime

Employment Discrimination –Sexual Harassment – Nonpayment for Overtime

If you have been fired, suspended or harassed on the job, or if you have been presented with an employment or severance agreement, and you are not sure of how to handle the situation, please contact the Okeke Law Group, P.C., an experienced Georgia employment law firm, to handle your employment related disputes. Numerous federal and state laws protect employees from discrimination, harassment, overtime violations, and other forms… Continue reading

DUI Offenses



What Does “Drunk Driving” Mean?  Drunk driving means a person is driving an automobile after consuming alcoholic beverages to the extent that his/her ability to drive a motor vehicle is impaired. Drunk driving comes under various names or abbreviations depending on the particular state you are in. The most common names and abbreviations are: “Driving While Impaired” (DWI), “Driving Under the Influence” (DUI), or “Operating a motor vehicle while Under the Influence of intoxicating Liquor” (OUIL).… Continue reading

How To Get Out Of A Contract

Getting Out of a Contract

In Georgia, contract rescission (termination) has been held to be the complete abrogation (abolishment or cancellation) of a contract. The circumstances which allow parties to rescind a contract, generally, involve three (4) situations:

1. Both parties agree to rescind the contract, known as “mutual assent”;

2. The contract is rescinded because of fraud; or

3. A party (you) may be allowed to rescind a contract because the opposite party failed to perform in accordance with… Continue reading

Time limit for your Personal Injury Claims

Time limit to file a personal injury claim in Georgia

If you have been injured in an accident in Georgia because of someone else’s negligence, you would have a specified time to file a Georgia personal injury claim. This is called a statute of limitations. The Georgia statute of limitations to file a Georgia personal injury claim is 2 years from when the injury occurred.

This means is that, once you have suffered a personal injury in Georgia, you will… Continue reading

L-1 Visa

Those who serve as a manager of a business located outside of the U.S.A. and who are transferred to a business in the U.S.A. as a manager or executive may qualify for a L-1 visa if the foreign and U.S. business are linked by 50% or more common ownership. Those who fall under this definition qualify for the L1A visa for managerial transferees. The L-1A visa may be extended for a total of 7 years and is easily converted to… Continue reading

Dispossessory & Distress Actions


There are two general procedures for the removal of a tenant and its property from leased space, whether it is residential or commercial. The more common approach is an eviction or dispossessory proceeding whereby a landlord requests from a court the right to physically remove a tenant and its property from the rented space, effectively throwing them onto the street. The other action is called an action for distraint wherein the landlord seeks to take possession… Continue reading

Failure to File a Timely Answer

Failure to file a Timely Answer to Summon & Complaint may result in Default Judgment against you 

 A defendant is required to respond to a complaint that has been filed by the plaintiff (the person suing) within the time period set by law, usually 20 to 30 days. If the defendant fails to file a timely answer, the plaintiff can ask the court to enter a default judgment. If the plaintiff presents evidence supporting the claims contained… Continue reading

Pardon/Reprieves For Ex-Offenders

Pardon/Reprieves for Ex-Offenders

Ga Comp. R. & Regs. 475-3-.10 475-3-.10. Other Clemency.

(1) Reprieves:

(a) The Board may at its discretion grant reprieves to inmates usually for a limited number of days for compassionate reasons or medical reasons. Since the Department of Offender Rehabilitation has a policy of granting special leaves to inmates for compassionate and medical reasons with certain restrictions, the inmate should first seek leave with the Department of Offender Rehabilitation. Written requests for reprieve should be… Continue reading